Saturday, August 24, 2013

One Last Hurrah for Summer Faux Wrap Top



Summer is coming to a close but this next week is when it finally starts to feel like summer around here ~ mid-90s all. week. long! Phew! So that's why I decided to call this top "One Last Hurrah for Summer" or simply the Summer Faux Wrap Top. 


I love the fabric combo on this one. It's one of the funnest things about designing and sewing clothes- you can choose whatever your imagination can come up with! 

In this instance, I used a cotton chevron fabric bought from Pick Your Plum and paired it with a thrifted... wait for it... tablecloth!!! I was shopping for fabric when I ran into this gorgeous and spotless linen tablecloth. It's light creamy color really was flawless. The previous owner did a really good job taking care of it if they even used it at all!


I only used a little bit of it for this top- the rest is being saved for an Easter dress for next spring. =) Yep, I'm planning that far ahead already.

The boat neck is something I've been wanting to try out on K. She's so skinny, it's hard to make it big enough to fit comfortably without constantly falling off her shoulders. This top I made for her definitely fits well. It exposes her collarbone but doesn't fall off of her shoulders, which is exactly what I wanted.


I love bias tape and I have a ton in my stash that I bought on antiquing trips. When I say "antiquing," I don't actually buy any antiques but I run into a lot of vintage sewing notions and trims that I hoard  stock up on for future use. 

And aren't the banded puff sleeves too cute?! 


Darn- that button was sewn on a little lower than the loop, making the back yoke appear uneven! Redo! =) But that's what happens when one is in a rush to finish a project so that Saturday could be spent with family. Sigh. And next week, I'm starting school too so there will be only time enough for one sewing project every week, if I stay up past midnight, that is!  


Isn't she lovely in this floral tablecloth  print top? I came up with the design because I wanted to be able to mix and match my fabrics and trims to create a different feel each time I make one. My first version turned out very summery with lime green and hot pink tones. You'll get to see that one in the tutorial I'll be posting tomorrow with a FREE PATTERN yet again! Of course, it's in my daughter's size only, about a 3/4T, but it's a fairly easy pattern to increase or decrease as needed if you're an experienced sewist.

So definitely come back for that tomorrow if you're interested! I am going to go get in some family time before the craziness begins this next week! Hope you're all having a lovely weekend so far!

xoxo ~ Julia




10 comments:

  1. That top is just gorgeous Julia! Great combination of fabrics and the faux wrap at the front just brilliant!
    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill! And thanks for hosting a great link party!

      Delete
  2. The top is almost as cute at your daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the most adorable top I've seen someone make! And your daughter is precious, too. Thanks for sharing this great idea!

    Amy @ http://delineateyourdwelling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you designed a really gorgeous top.. and the tablecloth adds a nice touch! My fav things here are the buttons and the boatneck!
    I've found you through the Round Tuit linky party, I've downloaded your pattern and I'm now following on fb, G+ and twitter. I'd like to follow you on Pinterest too but your button doesn't work... I have a Mood Board refashion related here and, if you want, I'd really like to add you as a contributor... plz contact me if you'd like to be in!
    Hugs,
    MammaNene @ SergerPepper.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene! I didn't know the Pinterest button wasn't working but here's a direct link to me there: www/pinterest.com/broolia. I'll get it fixed asap- thanks for letting me know!
      And I've seen your awesome work around the blogosphere as well and I love it! I've been busy this past week but will be adding your blog to my list! Thanks so much for stopping by!
      xoxo~ Julia

      Delete
    2. Greet! I'm now following on Pinterest too! If you'll decide to be a contributor, please contact me and I'll send you an invite with huge pleasure! You only need to follow me on Pinterest (so I can invite you), then you won't have any obligation: only to pin anything refashion related (inspiration, anything you make, see, love!) any time you want!!
      Will wait for you (here's the board, so you can take a quick look: http://pinterest.com/MammaNene/a-refashion-obsession-the-mood-board/ )
      Hugs,
      MammaNene

      Delete