Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Rarity Tunic/Dress Free Pattern and Tutorial

Ok- first, I have to say that this was a challenge to get done and ready for posting this week. I snuck it in late at night after the kids went to bed so please forgive me if anything seems unclear. I had a hectic day and trying to make sense is a challenge when one is half-asleep already. Luckily for you, the dress/tunic is so simple to sew, you could probably make it without a tutorial, right? ;-)


Before we start the tutorial, lets share some pictures! I made a second dress for K in a graphic striped black and white jersey knit from Girl Charlee and instead of the notched neckline, I added ruffles in a mint linen fabric. 



She looks fab in black- it's too bad she doesn't particularly care for the color right now. 


And here's a new pose she came up with herself. Haha! It totally came out of nowhere and I have no idea where she saw such a thing- but it's so cute, I just had to share it!


All right- enough of K! She is darling but I know you want your pattern and tutorial, right? 

First things first: this pattern comes in combination sizes of 2/3T and 4/5T. I've used the pattern with both knit and woven fabrics and personally prefer the knit version but I do think if you want a ruffle collar or stiffer flutter sleeves, use a woven fabric for those. I attempted a knit ruffle at the neckline and it falls flat and looks odd. 

If you choose to do the notched neckline, you'll need bias tape in either woven or knit fabric. You can also use lace trim at the bottom hem, if you'd like. 

Other materials you'll need: if using woven fabric, you'll need buttons for the back bodice piece. And other than your fabric and thread, that's it!

I will do a separate tutorial later on for the woven version of this dress.

Now for the pattern: DOWNLOAD IT HERE!!!

I am providing a tutorial for the above dress version with the ruffle neckline and flutter sleeves. If you decide to use the puff sleeves, there is a similar tutorial for that here. For a notched neck line, just apply bias tape around the unfinished edges.
I think that's it- so shall we begin?

Cut out the pieces you need for your version of the Rarity tunic dress. For a notched neck line, have coordinating bias tape ready.






Skip the next couple of steps if you're doing the notched neck line.



I didn't photograph the skirt step but it's simple enough. Just fold the rectangle in half lengthwise and sew to create a tube. Sew a gathering stitch on one side and pull strings to gather it to the size of your top.

For this version, I also gathered my bodice at the front bottom hem before attaching it to the skirt. I liked the gathered effect it creates at the waist.


Flip right side out and you're done! You don't even have to finish seams if you used knit fabric- making this a quick one hour project! Isn't that awesome?! I love almost-instant gratification- especially when the results are this adorable! 

Oh yeah, you could add the lace trim to the bottom hem like I did in the first picture at the top. Sooo pretty, don't you think? But this black and white one below already had a lot going on at the neck line so I left the bottom hem alone. 


The gathered waist is super adorable too. I'm glad I decided to do that for this version instead of making a separate belt like I did for the first one. They're the same dress pattern but with two different looks- I love 2-for-1s! And both versions can be worn through the fall too if layered over leggings and long sleeves. So many possibilities! 
If you make one, please share with me! Use the email address in the right column to contact me!
Thanks so much for stopping by today- happy sewing!

xoxo~ Julia

You can find this post linked to: You Flew Tuesdays at Feather's Flights.





16 comments:

  1. Love love love! Can't wait to make one!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niki! Please share your version with me! I'd love to see how the pattern works for someone else!

      Delete
  2. She is absolutely precious- I agree she looks good in black! Thank you somuch for all the free patterny goodness! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the support Amy! I appreciate it so much! It's what keeps me going on this journey!

      Delete
  3. Your model and tunic both are beyond adorable. This is one of those things that made me wish I had a daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh super cute! I love the mix of stripes and ruffles...and your model is stinkin cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's absolutely lovely. new follower from Craft-O-Maniac Monday.
    Joanna
    htpp://becreativemommy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO cute! I'd love if you'd link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-diyers-29.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a very ambitious Mother! I know I'll enJOY the patterns you've created and taken the time to share. Love your blog. You also have a very cute model. I know she's proud to have such nice clothes that no one else has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for linking up to Gingerly Made's Show & Tell. YOU have been featured! http://www.gingerlymade.com/2013/09/show-tell-features_17.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton, Ginger! That's awesome!

      Delete
  9. I love the pleating detail on the front and the ruffle sleeves are the perfect touch! I love it!

    ReplyDelete