Friday, October 11, 2013

Free Kayla Dress Pattern in 4/5T PLUS Tutorial!

I've completely updated this post to include the tutorial instead of writing up another post and linking to it. I've made the shorts version of the Kayla pattern in a woven fabric this time, just to see how the pattern fits in material other than the knit that I used in the dress version. Oh yeah, I do also loooove this sheer cotton woven I found for cheap at Walmart as well (see below in tutorial pics.) I bought two yards of it to test patterns with since it was under $2/yard and if it happens to turn out nice- bam, new wearable outfit! =)

Because it's a sheer cotton, I plan to layer it over cable knit stockings in the fall with a cardi over the top.

So here's the link for the download.

The materials you'll need are: your fabric of choice in knit or woven, bias tape, lace trim (optional), three-four buttons, and fusible interfacing.
The finished waist size is approximately 20" using a 3/8" seam allowance (which is included in all pattern pieces).
Just an FYI: if using knit, the size is closer to a 4/5T; if using woven, non-stretch fabric, it'll be more like a 3/4T.

1. Cut out the pieces you want to use. In this case, I'm using the 3/4 sleeve and shorts in woven cotton.

2. Apply 1" width fusible interfacing to button placket on the front bodice pieces. This will help stabilize it for when the buttonholes and buttons get sewn in. Then fold the placket in half and press with hot iron.

3. The placket should overlap each other when the shoulder seams are matched up with the back bodice. Pin shoulder seams together and sew.

4. Press the shoulder seam (finish it off nicely too if you're not using knit) and this is what you should have.

5. Take a sleeve and line up the center of the sleeve with the shoulder seam. To find the center of the sleeve, I press the sleeve after I cut it on the fold so the fold line tells me where to line it up with the shoulder seam.

6. Pin all the way around the curve, making sure to line up fabric as closely as possible. Then sew carefully and slowly to follow the curve. Finish the seams if not using knit.

7. Press the seams when finished. Repeat step 6 and 7 for other sleeve. I also finished the sleeve hem here as well but I would recommend doing it after the top is sewn completely together to give it a clean finish.

8. Flip your top around so right sides are facing each other. Line up the seams in the armpits first and pin then pin down the sides and sleeves. Sew using 3/8" seam allowance.

9. Flip right side out after finishing and pressing seams and this is what you'll have! Almost done!

10. Pin your shorts right sides together and sew down the curved sides only. For the skirt option, simply cut the rectangle and sew into a tube with right sides together.

11. After finishing and pressing seams, lay the shorts flat so the front and back seams are lined up. Pin the center seam together first and then pin the rest of the curve. Sew and finish seams if needed.

12. I placed two 1/2" pleats on the front side of the shorts. Simply measure to see where the center of each leg is then pinch a 1/2" of fabric from the outside of the shorts leg inwards and pin. Sew a basting stitch over each pleat to keep them in place. 

13. Flip the shorts inside out with the front facing you. The top should be upside down with right sides out. Push top down into the shorts and pin the waist seam together.

14. You can mark where the center is on your bodice piece (both front and back) so you know where to line it up with the shorts. The seams on the shorts should line up with wherever you marked the center on your bodice.

15. Finish your seams if needed, press, then flip and almost done!

16. I added vintage lace trim to the bottom hem of my shorts. It's just so pretty, I couldn't resist. You can simply fold it in twice, press, and sew to finish the hem instead if you like.

17. Preeeettty!

18. I finished the collar with bias tape but you can also fold in twice, press and sew to finish as well.

19. Sew buttonholes and fun, colorful buttons and you're finished! I'm using large 1" buttons here so I only needed three but if using smaller buttons, you'll need at least four of them.

I love this fabric and the vintage lace together. So pretty! I can't wait to show you K's modelling pics in this outfit! They're still being edited right now but she's a doll in this one! 

Thanks for being so patient with me on this one! I eeked it in just on time because this week is midterm finals and I'm gonna be swamped all this week! 

And below is just a reminder of the skirt version! I still have yet to try out the flutter/short sleeves but I think I will save those for next spring! 



Thanks so much for stopping by today!

xoxo ~ Julia

1 comment:

  1. please can you add a pic of the dress on a hanger so i can "pin" it?

    ReplyDelete